Thursday, February 15, 2007

Sayonara Singapore, Hello Japan

My bank balance is finely poised at $50plus.This is what happens after valentine's day when guys spend and pamper their girls(or friends) and the girl just smiles or blushes.the worst thing is that with chinese new year 3 days from now,I'm in trouble. At least I did get a beautiful enough gift in the form of Noble One 2004. whether she likes it is another matter,but on hindsight when I went to buy my Vintage Valrhona bars at Taka later on,I suddenly thought of a Sauternes Permier Cru at Oaks and then I saw the price tag which was $1XX.My presents total $93 and I was glad I got the right stuff-I don't think she acquired a taste for French wines yet

(i actually told Pooh tt i wanted to top up $8 to $99,when in fact i got my maths wrong and she juz laughed when i told her i'm broke-haha girls don't expect guys to spend alot,even though guys almost universally flout this rule,either lying to their girls about how much it costs,or just spend alot and make it obviously blatant)

OMG i'm stuck at which Valrhona bars to bring on the plane.they not only are very ex-I haven't tried alot of them before.was mooting a tasting of:
vintage 2006 bars from:
Trinidad(Grand Couva)
Venezuela(Palmira)
Madagascar(Ampamakia) ,
Porcelana de Venezuela(not available in Singapore)
those are Premier Grands Crus of 64% at $13 for 75g(don't say I didn't warn you.but you get great chocolate from a single site-talk about having winemakers as your nieghbours)

and a selection of non-vintage cuvees,called Grands Crus:
Abinao(Africa blend 85%)
Araguani(72% from Venezuela.I think that's the name,but I think i might only remember the pruple hint in the black packaging)
Guanaja(South American assemblage 70%)
Caraibe (what else?the Carribbean.the nut part though is a problem 64%)
Manjari (Madagascar.forget about the orange peel 64%)
Jivara (39%.South American.a milk chocolate with malt,not quite what i was thinking)
$8 a bar.not so bad but still a guilty experience(once shared a Guanaja with a fren while watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.cool and still remains a favourite had it not been for the fact that Paragon doesn't have them anymore :( )

Those bars made in Lyon(my mistake it's Hermitage.where you get those special wines) are the ultimate chocolates that I'd eat,second to the Prestats and the Bernachons and the Amedeis(the former was for Pooh and the latter means having to mail order from Lyon(again) like mad.As for the last one,I'm still figuring out on how to mail order from Italy)

Flying off today.my bank balance might tide me through-just.I've a job lot of stuff to buy,not to mention that Royce in Singapore actually costs slightly cheaper than in Japan.that's the paradox of economics.same with the Budget this afternoon.They must have been starting to scratch their heads on how to decrease the rich-poor gap and still foster economic growth,now that the big GST is rising yet again.but yet again they have lots of tricks up their sleeves and don't be surprised if they suddenly decide to raise CPF contributions

Another irony. Since today is total defence day we remember the Japanese occupation 65 years ago during the Chinese New Year period and their atrocities.apparently though,it's us who's doing the conquest of Japan this time-with the help of more travellers.this time though we are boosting everyone's coffers

haha enjoy my trip la.,..don't talk too much

No comments: